Marugoto is a coursebook for adult learners of Japanese that is based on the JF Standard* for Japanese Language-Education. Learners at Intermediate1 level (B1) can comprehend the main points about familiar topics, as well as effectively make themselves understood when discussing their intentions and feelings, as well as the reasons behind them. Based on the philosophy of “Japanese for mutual understanding," each topic features people from a variety of cultural backgrounds interacting in Japanese. Hints about cross-cultural understanding, such as in dialog content, photos, and illustrations, can be found throughout the book. Marugoto also places importance on audio input for language learning, with many classroom activities for listening to natural conversation.
*JF Standard is based on the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference). This CEFR scale makes the content of Marugoto easy to compare with other language resources.
Merits of Marugoto
★Lush photos and illustrations to bring enjoyment to studying
★Plenty of audio resources to connect language input with output
★Portfolio system to manage your own learning progress
Recommended course length: 80 to 120 hours
Audio and other materials to be used together with Marugoto can be downloaded for free from website ≪https://www.marugoto.org/en/download/≫. Please note that you will be required to register on the publisher's Marugoto website.
Topic 1. Meeting people for the first time
- Hello everyone
- Excuse me, but…
- I’m Mai. Nice to meet you
- Feel free to follow me
- Write a profile
Topic 2. Food I recommend
- The fish is particularly good here
- Okonomiyaki flour is…
- You should definitely try it
- Using potatoes is the key
- How to make “Simple Sukiyaki”
Topic 3. My favourite music
- Enka of course!
- Good songs never grow old
- The great thing about her is…
- I went to see BEGIN in concert!
- Would you like to go?
Topic 4. Let’s go to a hot spring!
- I’m at a hot spring now
- My first time in a Japanese inn
- The place I want to go to most of all is…
- I was very satisfied
- Enquiry about food
Topic 5. How have you been lately?
- Listen to this
- Work’s been busy recently
- I’ve been getting into yoga recently
- As for my family, recently…
- How are you?
Topic 6. Let’s read manga
- It’s a really well-known manga
- This is Chopper’s hat
- The story of the big man who liked to drink
- She reads nothing but manga
- To “A Worried Mother”
Topic 7. Take on the challenge of martial arts!
- I do JUDO
- What day is practice on?
- I learnt it at school when I was a child
- Japanese martial arts are becoming more and more popular overseas
- Enquiry about a class
Topic 8. Convenient gadgets
- I can’t go anywhere without my smartphone!
- I’m thinking of buying an electronic dictionary
- I bought an amazing gadget
- Which of Doraemon’s gadgets would you most like?
- Please sell it to me
Topic 9. Traditional festivals
- The festival is on until the 7th
- Even I was dancing
- The highlight of the festival is…
- My first Christmas
- Festival experiences