Marugoto is a coursebook for adult learners of Japanese that is based on the JF Standard* for Japanese Language-Education. Learners at Intermediate2 level (B1) can express themselves in a specific manner, and can properly understand main points as well as background information within the context of familiar themes. Based on the philosophy of “Japanese for mutual understanding," each topic features people from a variety of cultural backgrounds interacting in Japanese. Hints about cross-cultural understanding, such as in dialog content, photos, and illustrations, can be found throughout the book. Marugoto also places importance on audio input for language learning, with many classroom activities for listening to natural conversation.
*JF Standard is based on the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference). This CEFR scale makes the content of Marugoto easy to compare with other language resources.
Merits of Marugoto
★Lush photos and illustrations to bring enjoyment to studying
★Plenty of audio resources to connect language input with output
★Portfolio system to manage your own learning progress
Recommended course length: 80 to 120 hours
Audio and other materials to be used together with Marugoto can be downloaded for free from website ≪https://www.marugoto.org/en/download/≫. Please note that you will be required to register on the publisher's Marugoto website.
Topic 1. What kind of person are they?
- I’m going to get married
- He’s really strict but he always does his best for us
- She’s a really interesting person
- Communicating through calligraphy
- An e-mail introducing a friend
Topic 2. Climbing Mount Fuji
- There’s no mountain that beats Mount Fuji
- I’d really like to see the sunrise
- Everyone should be able to have a good time
- Fuji Five Lakes are great in any season
- A place I recommend is…
Topic 3. Healthy living
- Walking would probably be best
- What kind of diet are you on?
- It gets rid of the cause of the illness
- I wonder if it really works
- Health cures from around the world
Topic 4. If you’re going to see a play, …
- Kabuki’s great
- I think you’ll enjoy it
- You can see it at theatres in the city
- It’s a very tough world
- Come and join us!
Topic 5. Local news
- He was arrested
- Apparently there was a fire
- I saw it on the website of my local council…
- A new app for foreign tourists is generating interest
- Sharing news
Topic 6. I want this!
- I can’t live without this
- I love takoyaki
- They’re unique, so I think people will like them
- It got good reviews, so…
- I’d like to return it
Topic 7. My favourite film
- It leaves a lasting impression on you
- The individual performances were good
- That’s what’s called an enduring masterpiece
- As I expected, it was a great film
- Posting a film review
Topic 8. Forms of transport in my town
- The train’s late again
- It’s not running today
- You can easily buy a ticket from the machine in the station
- What do you think of Japanese trains?
- I had a bit of trouble
Topic 9. The age of ninja and samurai
- She’s the most well-known person from Japanese history
- See? Ninjas must exist
- The end of the 12th century heralded the golden age
- Memorable famous words by Sengoku period commanders
- Introducing a saying by a famous historical figure